Like any fashionista, I love high-end labels and luxury items. But when your everyday budget is more outlet mall than Rodeo Drive, it’s time to get practical.
That’s why I have no problem with mixing high and low fashion, as long as the entire look comes off looking effortless and coordinated. Here, I’ve paired Forever 21 with Jimmy Choo. (I know, weird to see those brands used in the same sentence.)
This Forever 21 dress is one of my go-to pieces right now – perfect for work or going out, especially this time of year. I love the cheerful summer color. It’s extremely comfortable, hugs my frame, and hits at a good length above the knee. The best part is that it didn’t have to be tailored one bit!
It’s a size S/P from Forever 21, where I find a few surprising gems every so often. Maybe it’s because the stores seem more teen-oriented, the sizes tend to fit my petite frame pretty well without alterations. It just takes time to scour all those jam-packed racks for that one piece that catches your eye.
By the way, if you don’t already own one of these “skater dresses,” as they’re called, I highly recommend adding one to your closet as a staple piece. With a fitted torso and flared skirt, the skater dress flatters practically any body shape.
I’m wearing this dress with a gold BCBG Max Azria belt, size X-Small. I love that the belt comes in specific pre-set sizes, so it’s a perfect fit without having any left-over belt to loop around. This one just clasps in the front-middle, and it’s seamless all the way around the waist.
And to finish off the look, I’m wearing my gold Jimmy Choo sandal heels, size 35. I love that Jimmy Choo regularly offers smaller sizes. I’ve even seen a size 34 (!) offered on its website for really tiny feet. With some domestic brands, I have a hard time finding size 5 shoes. These size 35s fit me like a glove, or I guess, in this case, sock?
When mixing high and low, I stick to simple pieces that don’t compete with each other. And by keeping the overall look uncluttered, it’s easy to pull off a streamlined silhouette – essential when you’re petite.
- DRESS: Forever 21 sleeveless skater dress, size S/P pictured here. This is one of those dresses that have been in my closet forever, and I keep going back to it as a foundational piece. I recently tried on a similar Forever 21 skater dress with a textured pattern (available in blue or red), and it fit perfectly in a size Small! Snug torso, fitted waist, and good length. It has an adorable cut-out detail in the back that I find really cute and summery. But, that detail makes it tricky to hide your bra. That’s why I passed this time, but otherwise, I think this was another one of those nice little perfect-fit finds in the F21 aisles.
- SHOES: Jimmy Choo “India” glitter sandal in gold. I don’t see the gold versions of these shoes around anymore. But this style is still available in the Jimmy Choo champagne glitter. Just as sparkly and elegant!
- BELT: BCBG Max Azria gold bow belt. Sizes X-Small and Small still available.
- NECKLACE: gifted from a friend years ago. I’m a fan of these long multi-strand necklaces. They have an elongating impact, creating an illusion of vertical length on your upper body.
- EARRINGS: Banana Republic gold/rhinestone detail studs. I bought these pair recently at a Banana Republic outlet store. Similar pair here, available at discount.
Shop this style: